Forum Topic List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• зачем читать скучные учебники?..

зачем читать учебники когда есть газеты? читая их можно понять проблемы и жизнь другой страны и практиковатьсяв английском, совместить приятное с полезным.
    например в эта статья в журнале моего кампуса.. я просто ржу не могу, но это серьезная статья, вы можете себе представить эту же пролему в нашей стране?!
    " + artTitle.replace("-","") + " - " + "The Ranger " + " - " + "Opinion" + "

Employees catch and release area cats
    Cats help students relieve stress on campus, professor says.

Six employees participated in the first Trap Neuter and Release Program at this college during spring break. The employees formed teams to catch and release two orange cats living around the visual arts center.

Reading Professor Michelle Tippit, history Professor Jerry Poole and visual arts technician Samuel Reyna trapped the cats. Continuing education coordinator Thermajean Jones and Hilda San Miguel, executive secretary to the vice president of college services, transported and visual arts Professor Debra Schafter was the recovery team.

The cats were taken to SpaySA, a center that houses stray cats at 1615 S. Laredo St.

"Worked like a charm," Reyna said.

Before the trapping, San Miguel described the process.

"Sunday the traps will be set side by side with just a little food in them. Monday morning the cats will not get their usual food. That evening, we're hoping they're in the traps. Tuesday morning, we will pick them up to take them to the center," she said.

San Miguel said the cats had to be dropped off by 7 a.m. Tuesday to get spayed or neutered, then picked up by 3 p.m. or 4 p.m. the same day.

She said after the cats are spayed or neutered, they have to be kept seperate in their cages –– males 24 hours and females 48 hours.

San Miguel said both cats are male.

"We're calling them ‘the twins,'" she said.

All the members of the team were required to attend a free San Antonio Feral Cat Capture training before they could participate in the capture and release.

The surgery was partially provided by PetSmart Grant Charities. The rest was provided by the faculty. This campus is in ZIP code 78212 and PetSmart Grant Charities is providing partial spay/neutering of cats in this ZIP code.

"The surgery for the cats was provided by donations from employees," Reyna said.

"The cages are a refundable $65 upon return, provided by San Antonio Feral Cat Coalition," San Miguel said.

Reyna said he feeds the cats and one of them is very friendly.

"One of the cats actually sat on my lap," Poole said.

Poole, who has been teaching at this college since 1966, said the cats were a way for students to relieve their stress by taking pictures with them and scratching their backs.

He said a few cats around Chance Academic Center were adopted last fall and he was sure that more have moved into the bushes.

He said he remembers a cat named Chance that used to roam around the center. "He just showed up one day," Poole said.

"I got in touch with his family and when they found out he was here they came and took him home," Poole said.

"A week later he was back," he said.

Poole said Chance really loved hanging around the students and taking pictures with them. He said when they would study outside, he would be right there with them.

"He was a very friendly cat," Poole said.

"The family decided that Chance must really like the campus life. They let him stay," Poole said.

"One day a student was sad that he was transferring out and he wouldn't see Chance anymore, so I think he decided to take Chance with him, and that was the last time I saw Chance," Poole said.

San Miguel said there were dozens of cats on campus, and she plans on doing more programs in the future.

"I am looking for those faculty members who are feeding the cats around their buildings," San Miguel said.

Poole said there have probably been cats here as long as there have been buildings here.

"We have our SAC cats. Our cat colonies," David Mrizek, vice president of college services, said.

President Robert Zeigler said he didn't want multiplying on campus.

"Well, I don't think that if cats are spayed or neutered, they would generally cause a huge problem on this campus," Zeigler said. "I don't see that they're generally bothering anyone."

Members of the team said this was the first time they have done anything like this and want to continue to catch, spay, neuter and release all the cats living near the buildings on campus.

For more information, contact San Miguel at 210-486-0938.
Working...
X